| Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc. is an international organization founded at Howard University in Washington, DC by three young African-American male students who wanted to organize a fraternity that would truly exemplify the high ideals of Brotherhood, Scholarship, and Service.|
The Theta Tau Sigma Chapter of Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc., is composed of college educated professional men located in northern Virginia. Our goal is to be “The Leading Proactive Community Service Organization, Addressing Issues That Impact the African American Male”. As a result, the Theta Tau Sigma Chapter is dedicated to enhancing educational opportunities for underrepresented and disadvantaged males through the offering of scholarships. We strongly believe that in order to impact leadership of tomorrow you must begin today.
To be eligible for scholarship consideration, the applicant must:
1. Be a male of African or African-American descent;
2. Be a 2020 high school graduate with a minimum of 3.0 GPA; based on a 4.0 scale;
3. Have a demonstrated record of volunteer work, community service, and leadership skills;
4. Be a resident of one of the following Virginia cities or counties: Alexandria, Arlington, Fairfax, or Falls Church;
5. Provide a written acceptance letter for the Fall 2020 academic school year from your selected college or university;
6. Provide a completed application package;
7. Provide a completed application form. If under 18 years of age, the application form must be signed by parent or guardian;
8. Provide 2019-2020 official high school transcripts;
9. Provide a photograph of the applicant from the 2019-2020 school year;
10. Provide a Letter of Intent: (A scholarship application letter of intent is an application letter which the applicant uses to apply for a scholarship and show their qualification for and desire to receive the scholarship. (The content of this letter should emphasize academic accomplishments, community service, leadership abilities, and initiative. The letter should begin with an introductory statement and the subsequent paragraphs address the detailed reasons why the applicant should receive scholarship assistance. This letter must be correctly formatted with proper spelling and grammar. Any errors could be cause for a low rating of your submitted application package.);
11. Provide Two professional letters of recommendation: One letter should be from an individual familiar with the applicant’s academic accomplishments (High School Teacher/Counselor/Principal, etc.) and the other letter should be from an individual familiar with the applicant’s community service and volunteer work (Religious Leader, Work supervisor, Community/Volunteer Project Leader, etc.);
Please note that relatives of members of Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc. are INELIGIBLE for this scholarship.
The following documents must be postmarked by March 21, 2020: (1) Completed application form, (2) Official Transcript, (3) Letter of Intent, (4) Self Photo, and (5) Two letters of recommendation.
All of the aforementioned items must be included with the application in order for the Scholarship Committee to evaluate your application. Return the application and additional items to: Our Cause Education & Scholarship Foundation, Scholarship Committee, Mason Enterprise Center – Fairfax, 4031 University Drive, Suite 100, Fairfax, Virginia 22030-3409. All decisions of the Scholarship Committee with respect to eligibility and any issue related to the awarding of scholarships are FINAL.
Applicants may be required to attend interview(s) and other events, as a condition of receiving scholarship assistance.
Applications and other documents can also be emailed as a complete package to: OCESFoundation@gmail.com
For questions about the Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc., Theta Tau Sigma Chapter Scholarship please contact Mr. Craig Elam, of the Scholarship Committee via email at email@example.com or 571-215-5988 or email the foundation at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Click here for 2020 Scholarship Application